Emotional Support Animal Requirements

Any animal can be an Emotional Support Animal

We do not need a letter from a doctor or therapist to register your pet. Check out these Emotional Support Animal requirements.

Landlords Cannot

  • Charge pet rent or pet deposits for Emotional Support Animals
  • Require an Emotional Support Animal to have any specific training
  • Inquire about the extent of the disability or ask for detailed medical records for the individual requesting the service or emotional support animal, but the property manager can ask for a note from a doctor or licensed therapist
  • Check your city laws for pets that are allowed on your property.  If your pet is not allowed within your zoning classification, you may be able request a zoning exception.

Airlines Travel

  • Effective January 11, 2021 all major airlines have banned ESAs
  • ESAs travel under the same rules as cabin pets
  • You are required to pay a cabin pet fee and your pet must be in a carrier during the flight
  • Check with the airline if you are traveling with a pet that is not a dog or cat. There may be restrictions on the breed or types of pets that can travel in the cabin of the plane.
  • If your dog qualifies as a Psychiatric Service Dog, the airline does not charge a pet travel fee. (see here for qualifications)
  • Notify the airline when making reservation that you are traveling with a Psychiatric Service Dog

What Is An Emotional Support Animal?

Emotional Support Animals provide some therapeutic benefit to a person with depression or anxiety. Types of animals that can be registered as Emotional Support Animals include dogs, cats, horses, rabbits, ferrets, birds, monkeys, bearded dragons, and pigs, etc.

Federal law does not require these animals to have any specific training. To qualify for companion animal registration and certification, the animal must have good social skills and not be aggressive toward people or other animals. The animal must be under your control at all times.

Emotional Support Animals have a right to housing. The Fair Housing Act requires Landlords to modify policies, procedures, or practices to permit an individual with a disability to use, own, and live with a service and/or emotional support animal when doing so is necessary to provide a tenant with an equal opportunity to use and enjoy the dwelling. Landlords must make reasonable accommodations. For more information, check out this blog on Emotional Support Animal Housing Laws.

Register My Service Animal, LLC is not responsible for the behavior of any animal.