AirBnB has become popular with travelers in recent years, and for good reason! The location options, ease of use, and overall unique experience is something that all members of a family (including their assistance animals) can appreciate.
AirBnB policy considers assistance animals to include both Service Dogs and Emotional Support Dogs.
What is a Service Animal?
A dog that is trained to perform tasks for an individual with a disability to include physical, sensory, psychiatric, or mental disabilities.
What is an Emotional Support Dog?
A dog used for medical or therapy treatment to assist an individual throughout their daily tasks. Emotional Support Animals are not required to be trained but do need to have good social skills.
*Help make traveling with your assistance animal easier – take a look at these products to help identify your service or support animal
So, you have an assistance animal – What are some tips to keep in mind when it comes to booking an AirBnB?
– You do not have to disclose that you are traveling with an assistance animal before booking, however it is encouraged to ensure a smooth experience.
– A host is required to accept an assistance animal unless it is a threat to health or safety.
– It is not required to have documentation for your assistance animal, but they can legally ask two questions:
- Is your animal a service dog or emotional support animal?
- What task does your animal perform?
-Do not leave your assistance animal alone in your AirBnB
*Are you in the process of training your dog? Consider one of our products as a visual to help others know
Things to note about assistance animal behavior:
– A host can ask you to remove your animal if it is uncontrollable and misbehaved. A host can also ask you to remove your animal if the accommodation is shared housing and another guest is allergic, as this is a threat to their health. However, they are still required to host you without your pet.
– A host cannot choose to charge extra fees because of your pet, however they can charge additional compensation for damages as they would with any other guest without pets for damage done to their home.
Further details can be found at www.airbnb.com
If you are in need of identification for your Service or Support Animal, visit us at RegisterMyServiceAnimal.com
For more information, please contact us:
Register My Service Animal LLC